The first game of the 2012-2013 season for Mississippi State basketball will be in Troy on November 9 against Troy. The Bulldogs have put together a squad that they hope can match the performance of last season's team. They must offset a loss of 77% of last season's player minutes with the contributions of five incoming freshmen.
The biggest gap for Mississippi State to fill will be on the offensive side, as the team lost 91.6% of their assists. After that comes steals, where they drop another big 85.8%.
Mississippi State closed out the last season with an overall record of 21-10, landing in the cellar of the SEC West with their 8-8 conference record. In the postseason, the Bulldogs were booted from the SEC tournament by Georgia, 71-61. The Bulldogs lost key player Arnett Moultrie to the NBA, picked up by the Miami Heat at Round 1, #27.
Furthermore, Mississippi State lost last year's seniors Dee Bost (36 minutes per game), Brian Bryant (26 MPG), and Taylor Luczak (1 MPG). The Bulldogs will also go without several players, including Rodney Hood (transferred to Duke), Renardo Sidney (22 MPG), Deville Smith (13 MPG), Shaun Smith (3 MPG), and Charles Parker (1 MPG).
The Bulldogs get back junior Jalen Steele (8.7 points/game), senior Wendell Lewis (3.8 points/game), sophomore Roquez Johnson (0.2 blocked shots/game), junior Tyson Cunningham (0.1 steals/game), and senior Baxter Price (0.0 points/game).
The Bulldogs pick up incoming freshmen including 6-5 Fred Thomas, 6-5 Andre Applewhite, 6-1 Jacoby Davis, 6-9 Gavin Ware, and 6-3 Craig Sword. Also coming aboard are 6-8 junior Colin Borchert and 6-0 sophomore Trivante Bloodman.
The Bulldogs schedule includes five games against AP preseason Top 25 teams. The first three are at #11 North Carolina on November 19th, #10 Florida on January 26th, and at #10 Florida on February 9th. The first SEC game for Mississippi State will be on January 9th against South Carolina.
Tags: Dee Bost
- Since 2002, Mississippi State has an overall winning percentage of 64.8%.
- The Bulldogs have an average conference finish of 3.0 over the last 5 seasons. Over the past 16 the team has an average finish of 2.9.
- With Arnett Moultrie being drafted last year, that makes 5 Mississippi State players that have been drafted by the NBA in the last 10 years.
- The average final RPI (last year) of opponents on this year's schedule is 131.1.
- This year's opponent with the highest RPI from last year is Kentucky (#1).
- This year's opponent with the lowest RPI from last year is Alabama A&M (#342).
- Mississippi State has 5 Preseason AP Top 25 teams on the schedule.
- The last time Mississippi State returned less than 17% of the team's statistical production was 1996-1997.
, Brian Bryant
, Taylor Luczak
, Rodney Hood
, Renardo Sidney
, Deville Smith
, Shaun Smith
, Charles Parker
, Jalen Steele
, Wendell Lewis
, Roquez Johnson
, Tyson Cunningham
, Baxter Price
, Fred Thomas
, Andre Applewhite
, Jacoby Davis
, Gavin Ware
, Craig Sword
, Colin Borchert
, Trivante Bloodman